Friday, October 8, 2010

Why I DIY

Tara over at Scoutie Girl asked a good question the other day: "why do you DIY?"

While Tara might be moderately interested in my response, I have this feeling that my husband wants to know the answer even more.  I think he thinks I'm a tad bit crazy.  So....this post is for you, Isaac.

Probably the biggest reason I DIY is because I love taking something plain and turning it into something fun and wonderful.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="410" caption="A pile of satin and tulle can be turned into..."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="430" caption="...beautiful brooches and hair pins. "][/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="328" caption="A stack of songs pulled from a vintage hymnal..."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="409" caption="...can make a composition notebook so much more interesting."][/caption]

Side note: I found this vintage sheet music at an old antique store downtown for twenty-five cents each.  The guy at the cash register was handling them very gently as he was ringing me up and I off-handedly said "oh, you don't have to be careful. I'm just going to cut them up."  I think he was seriously offended.  I'm not a big thrift/vintage shopper....I must have broken some vintage code.  Oops.

Anyway....

There are other reasons I DIY.

One, I'm physically incapable of sitting still.  Most people's idea of relaxing is sitting in front of the TV.  I get so fidgety if I don't have something in my hands...

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="409" caption="Something like a few balls of thread, on their way to becoming fall flowers. "][/caption]

And, doing things yourself is so much more fun.  I mean, yes, I could have just bought a dresser at Target.  But scouring craigslist and picking paint and sanding and painting is my idea of a good time with my husband.  Bonus points: it's way cheaper.

Speaking of the dresser, it's drying on the back porch right now.  So excited to put it all together, move into our new house in 20 days, and fill it up with yarn and fabric and paper!  ~pictures to come soon!~

So, Isaac....does that explain the pile of satin, yarn, paper and beads by the couch in the living room?

*Hopefully I'm not the only one who has to explain these things to her husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment